Following CDC and Department of Education Guidelines, Classical Academy de Lafayette will conduct classes in-person, five days a week during the 2020-21 school year. Our small class sizes provide us maximum flexibility in this environment.
In order to ensure the ongoing health and safety of our staff, students, and families, we will implement the following prevention strategies:
- To the extent possible, and as developmentally appropriate, students will be seated so that they are separated by six feet in each classroom, facing the teacher.
- Staff, students, and family members coming on campus will be assessed before each school day with a temperature check. Individuals exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms or who have a 100.4 degree or higher temperature will not be allowed in school that day. They will need to stay home and are encouraged to contact their physician.
- Students will have outdoor recess time daily (weather permitting).
- Teachers will encourage prevention strategies including: covering coughs and sneezes, frequent hand-washing, and hand sanitizing.
- CAL will ensure enhanced cleaning and disinfecting protocols (using EPA-registered disinfectants) are followed in preparation for the next school day.
- Campus visitors will be required to take a screening questionnaire, a temperature check, and wear a face covering while on campus.
- In the event that a staff member or student exhibits COVID-19 symptoms during the school day, they will be given a face covering, accompanied to a separate room, and their parents/family will be notified to pick them up from school and contact their physician.
- Symptoms, not positive: Anyone with symptoms who is directed to self-care at home can return to school 10 days after symptom onset, 24 hours after resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medication, and with improvement of other symptoms.
- Positive, no symptoms: Anyone with a positive diagnostic test result who has never had symptoms should stay home and self-isolate until at least 10 days have passed since the date of the first positive test, and there are no other symptoms since the test.
- Close contact with someone who is positive: Any staff member or student who comes in contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 should stay home and quarantine until at least 14 days have passed after last exposure to the person with the positive result. Any siblings enrolled in the school who may have had contact with a person who tested positive for COVID-19 will also have to stay home and self-isolate. Teachers will work directly with parents and the student to ensure make-up of assigned classwork. School will continue uninterrupted with in-person learning.
- All staff and families will be immediately notified if any staff member or student is exhibiting symptoms, comes into contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19, or has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Attendance policies will account for the special circumstances of COVID-19. If a student needs to stay at home due to COVID-19 concerns, they will not be penalized for their absences or be subject to any academic restrictions.
- Water bottles are recommended for every student to reduce water fountain usage.